Wednesday, April 8, 2015

"I'm Still Comparing My Past to My Future" - Thoughts on "Big Hero 6"

Movie #68: "Big Hero 6"

It's hard not to compare "Big Hero 6" with other recent Disney films and with other animated features that cover similar themes.  And to me, that's being unfair to this very good animated Disney feature, so rather than say that this is the best Cute Kids and Robots animation since "Iron Giant" (and, like "Iron Giant", is that vanishingly rare case of creating an excellent film by completely ignoring the source material), let's talk about how awesome this movie makes science.

Succinct version:😍😍😍

Yup, we got ourselves a Walt Disney Studios animated feature film with a matter-of-fact no-big-deal diverse cast of engineering geniuses who save the day through science.  This is awesome.  I feel like "Big Hero 6" has succeeded where "Meet the Robinsons" tried and failed, maybe due to the former having a much more streamlined plot and smaller cast of characters.  I do agree that the secondary characters should've had as bit more room to breathe (side-note: I totally understand why we're getting "Frozen 2", but I don't *get* why we're getting "Frozen 2").  But the focus of the story is on the relationship between Hiro and Baymax, and for me, they've already joined the ranks of the great Disney BFFs.

For more posts in this ongoing series, go here, or click the Chronological Disney Animated Canon tag below.

-----

Sketch of the Day!

Appropos of nothing, have some "Ocarina of Time" fanart:
"Ocarina of Time" - The Great Fairy