Wednesday, February 11, 2015

"Kick him in the side." - Let's Kill, Refurb, Marry Sidekicks!



Oh boy, this is going to be a fun one.  Now to keep this easier for me, I'll only pick sidekicks from the Renaissance era on, otherwise I'd have to be a Polygamist.  With that rule in place, the first one is dead easy.

Kill - The Lemur family in "Dinosaur"

You all saw this one coming.  Aside from the obvious reasons, here's a reminder that the executives who meddled "Dinosaur" to hell and back were convinced people wouldn't go and see a movie about dinosaurs unless there were prominent furry mammal characters for us furry mammals in the audience to relate to.  Yeah.

Refurb - The "Treasure Planet" sidekicks

"Treasure Planet" is one of those Disney Animated Canon movies that I wish was better than it actually is; what I like in it, I like a lot, and I try to ignore the rest.  Case in point: young Jim Hawkins is sidled with three irritating comedy relief sidekicks, giving his crucial relationship with Long John Silver hardly any room to breathe.  So let's make Dr. Doppler less goofy, turn the obnoxious robot into a broken computer that doesn't talk (or maybe does cute beeps like R2-D2 or the little guys in "Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword"), and shoot that horrible cute pink squishy bubble-thing out the damn airlock.

Marry - The "Little Mermaid" sidekicks

I mean, you could argue that later sidekicks were funnier, more helpful, and generally better, but they owe it all to the "Little Mermaid" sidekicks.  They were the first to be on-par with best-ever sidekick Jiminy Cricket in a very long time.

-----

Art of the Day!

I've been sharing some doodles/art I made for The Straw Hat No's "Ni No Kuni" Let's Play over this month and this finished piece seemed appropriate:

"Ni No Kuni" - Sidekick Battle